Project Research: Seaside Towns

Southend: It was the coming of the railways in the 19th Century and the visit of Princess Caroline that Southend’s status of a Seaside resort grew. During the 19th century Southend’s pier was first constructed and the Clifftown development built, attracting many tourists in the summer months to its seven miles of beaches and bathing in the sea.

Frinton on Sea: In the first half of the 20th century, the town attracted visitors from high society with a lido complete with palm trees, shopping with, Connaught Avenue, named after the Duke of Connaught and opened by his wife, being dubbed East Anglia’s Bond Street, high class hotels along the Esplanade, a tennis tournament second only to Wimbledon; the Prince of Wales frequented the golf club and Winston Churchill rented a house. Frinton has an aging population. The Sea Defence Act 1903 established a project to stabilise the cliffs, with the Greensward, which separates the Esplanade from the sea, put in place to stabilise the land further.

Clacton on Sea: Founded by the Celts around 100 BC. There are some vague traces of Romans using the Clacton area as a seaside resort. The modern day Clacton-on-Sea was founded by Peter Bruff in 1871 as a seaside resort. Originally the main means of access was by sea; Steamships operated by the Woolwich Steam Packet Company docked from 1871 at Clacton Pier which opened the same year.

This entry was posted in MA Photography, Preparation, Projects, Research Project.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*